J Don Westbrook
- Eight year career as an independent petroleum landman and began law practice with the Midland firm of Stubbeman, McRae, Sealey, Laughlin & Browder, working exclusively with Jad Davis. In 1991, joined the law firm of Sharp, Price, Griffith and McCollum, with a concentration in Commercial and Energy litigation.
- Joined firm of Coghlan, Crowson, Fitzpatrick & Westbrook in 1994.
- State Bar of Texas (1988)
- Board Certified - Oil, Gas & Mineral Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Concentrating in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law and general Civil Litigation, including oil & gas, condemnations, class actions and commercial litigation.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, Baylor University, 1988, graduating in the top 15% of class;
- Bachelor of Science, with honors, University of Texas at Tyler, 1985;
- Represent large royalty owners, operators, utility companies, mid-stream purchasers, etc., in both state and federal court.
- Counsel energy clients on a variety of day-to-day issues relating to leasing, drilling, production and operation of their oil and gas properties.
- Represent exploration and production companies in the acquisition and divestiture of producing assets and undeveloped acreage.
- Represent clients in the negotiation and preparation of a vast array of mineral development documents, including purchase & sale agreements, leases, assignments, title curative documents, farmouts, joint operating agreements, participation agreements and surface use agreements.
- Prepare drilling, supplemental, leasehold, acquisition and division order title opinions covering acreage throughout Texas.
- Advise operators and non-operators on their right, duties and obligations under joint operating agreements and joint development agreements.
- Conduct due diligence on behalf of clients acquiring both producing and non-producing acreage.
- Admitted to practice before The U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of Texas.
- Member: State Bar of Texas; Gregg County Bar Association; and Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute.
- Received an “AV” rating from peers as determined by Martindale-Hubbell's ratings for legal ability and ethical conduct.
- OXY USA, Inc. v. Cook, 2003 WL 21499383 (Tex.App.Tyler, 2003)
- Morris v. Dearborne, 181 F.3d 657 (5th Cir Tex., 1999) and 69 F. Supp. 868 (E.D.Tex., 1999)
- Love of God Holiness Temple Church v. Union Standard Ins. Co., 860 S.W. 2d 179, (Tex.App. Texarkana, 1993)
- Lone Star Industries, Inc. v. Ater, 845 S.W.2d 334, (Tex.App.El Paso, 1992)
- Helen Butts-Tipps, et al v. Chinn Exploration Company, et al 06-00033-CV (Court of Appeals-Texarkana 2014, pet. denied)
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation v. Healey, LP, 12-11-00236-CV (Court of Appeals – Tyler, 2013, pet. denied)
- Brammer Petroleum, Inc. v. Bagley Minerals, LP, et al 06-15-0091 CV (Court of Appeals- Texarkana 2016)
- Hydrogeo, et al v Quitman ISD, et al 06-15-00007 CV (Court of Appeals – Texarkana, 2016)
- Felicia Pierce v. Debbie Blalack, et al, 06-17-00013-CV (Civ. App – Texarkana 2017) no pet.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
Reported Appellate Cases
J. Don Westbrook